The Ultimate Twilight Saga Test - Read to Decide If You Will Enjoy The Twilight Movies
Twilight movies got a lot of hype, both positive and negative. Women mostly loved it, especially if he books’ readers. Of course there were some men who enjoyed the films and some women who hated them. But instead of going to a movie, hating the experience and demanding the ticket price back, you can easily prevent the unpleasantness by testing whether this is the film for you. With some movies, things are not so obvious. Luckily, Twilight Saga is very transparent. I wrote reviews and plot facts about the movie. However, this article includes unique or unconventional traits of the movies not mentioned or emphasized by me before - so that you can make up your mind about them before paying to see them.
Image via 3aymun.files.wordpress.com
The poster features Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson) and Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart).
As the poster and the tagline suggest, this is a romantic film.
Image via http://joycereview.files.wordpress.com/
As one of the many posters ofNew Moon indicates, the second film mostly revolving around a triangle.
Image via http://www.eclipsemovie.org
1. These are not thriller/action/horror films with romance as a side dish. There is no horror, just some amount of action. Romance/drama is the main genre.
2. The vampires are beautiful. Yes, Dracula had the talent to turn himself into a young, pretty man but these vampires are always pretty. They don’t use coffins or anything else to restore youth. They are also never ugly. They don’t have fangs or ugly faces. Their eyes are a certain color and they are unnaturally white, but that’s about it.
Image via http://truebloodnet.com/
Above: True Blood's main vampire, the good and beautiful Bill (Stephen Moyer). But the audience gets to see his fangs. A lot.
Image via buffy-the-vampire-slayer.otavo.tv/
In the popular TV show Buffy The Vampire Slayer, all vampires had two faces: A human face and a demon face. David Boreanaz played Angel (above). When he fought, wanted to scare people or got into a lot of pain, his face would swtich.
Image via http://images2.layoutsparks.com
Angel got pretty ugly when he turned into a vampire.
3. The good vampires are good, even though they are not soulless. There are no grey areas. The evil ones are evil. There is only one flaw with the good ones. It is a momentary loss of control on Edward’s family’s side. That weakness will not satisfy you. The evil ones are your usual blood-thirsty, murdering creatures. But they are also pretty.
Above are the good vampires, the Cullen family. From left: Rosalie (Nikki Reed), Esme (Elizabeth Reaser), Carlisle (Peter Facinelli), Edward (Robert Pattinson), Emmett (Kellan Lutz), Alice (Ashley Greene) and Jasper (Jackson Rathbone).
Below: The Main Baddie, Victoria
Image via pollsb.com/
Victoria (Rachelle Lefevre) - Twilight and New Moon. In Eclipse, Victoria was played by another beautiful actress.
4. The romance is not sexual. It is extremely sensual and there are no sex scenes through most of the movies. In Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Buffy and Angel were afraid to have sex because Angel would lose his soul. And when they had sex, he really did lose his soul and turn into a regular, vicious vampire. However Edward Cullen is good soulless. Still, he has craving for human blood no matter how well he restrains himself. Bella’s scent is especially irresistible. He is also very strong. He is afraid of involuntarily hurting her.
5. There is also the fact that he is a gentleman from another era, when people married their loved ones and made love later. So there is no seductive, horny male leading vampire looking to seduce every skirt in sight. Or his girlfriend. If you want Dracula successfully applying seduction techniques, you can watch Bram Stoker’s Dracula with Gary Oldman or Dracula 2000 with Gerard Butler. Stuart Townsend also makes for very sexy vampire Lestat in Queen of the Damned. He is not necessarily evil, or good. Plus, he is also a rockstar. He is perfect if you are looking for a pretty vampire who can fall in love but still drinks human blood and kills humans in the process. And if Interview with the Vampire is your favorite vampire movie/novel, these may not be the best choices for you.
Image via babs886.files.wordpress.com/
Dracula 2000, Gerard Butler.
Image via unrealitymag.com
Stuart Townsend, Queen of the Damned.
6. The leading vampires have been turned into immortals at around 17. So they go to high school. If you don’t want high school scenes, stay away.
7. Bella is neither an interesting nor a multi-dimensional character. She is very plain and not very girlie. She is also introverted, socially awkward, very clumsy and fragile. Edward and Jacob pretty much center her universe. If you want a strong, female lead who has better or more important things to do than hanging out with her best friend or boyfriend, you will not like her.
8. These vampires do not burst into flames in the sun. They are not harmed by the sun in anyway. While Moonlight’s Mick St. John could manage the sun in the shadows, and could handle minor exposure, these ones are not affected at all. In fact, they shine like diamonds. That’s why they only hang around only in bad weather, fear of being found out. Not because they will die.
Image via sfuniverse.com/files/
Above, TV show Moonlight's Mick St. John (Alex O'Loughlin) is a vampire. He can't stay in the sun forever. But he would die of dehydration, not burning.
9. Wooden stakes, crosses or garlic don’t do anything.
10. Some vampires have special gifts. They are all naturally extremely strong and agile but Edward can hear thought, Alice can sense the future and decisions and Jasper can handle/manipulate moods.
11. There is a love triangle, with the plain girl in the center.
12. There are shapeshifters. Some men can transform into wolves. The special effects concerning the wolves are really poor.
13. The romance is very dominant, intense and some can find it cheesy and unrealistic.
14. The acting is just as dimensional as the characters.
15. The soundtrack is dominantly rock.
16. The storyline is not very complicated. There won’t be many surprising twists.
17. New Moon and Eclipse involve a bunch of young men walking around shirtless during a lot of the scenes.
Image via images2.fanpop.com/
Above: The shapeshifting gang of the Twilight Saga. It is not just Taylor Lautner's Jacob Black who runs around shirtless.
18. Nikki Reed and Kellan Lutz have few scenes.