Twilight Saga 102: 24 Things You Should Know About New Moon Before Seeing Eclipse
Part 2, New Moon
It’s recommended to read Part 1, if you are planning to see New Moon without seeing Twilight first.
Characters from left: Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson), Jacob Black (Taylor Lautner) and Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart). Image via twilightguide.com
1. Human Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart) and Vampire Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson) are happy together and this is putting a strain on Bella’s relationship with Jacob.
2. The rest of the Cullens seem to have gotten used to having Bella around, with the exception of Rosalie (Nikki Reed).
3. Bella is extremely depressed and self-conscious about her 18th birthday coming up, as she will officially be a year older than Edward, who will forever be and look 17. She would like him to turn her into a vampire, more than anything, but Edward hates the idea. He doesn’t want her to go through the pain and difficulty and he definitely doesn’t want her to become a soulless creature like he is. However what Bella doesn’t want is to be an 80-year-old granny dating a 17-year-old-boy.
4. However something tragic and unexpected happens during Bella’s birthday party. Bella gets a paper cut. She spills a little blood and Jasper (Jackson Rathbone), not as controlled as the rest of the family, instinctively moves to attack Bella. Edward stops him but Bella gets slightly injured anyway.
Image via http://fc00.deviantart.net
Ashley Green as Alice Cullen, Jackson Rathbone as Jasper and Kellan Lutz as Emmett.
5. Bella is willing to shake the whole thing off but Edward takes it very, very badly. He is angry and he isafraid that Bella will never be completely safe either with him or his family. So he decides to leave Bella. The rest of the Cullens leave too.
6. Bella is unwilling to let him go so he has to persuade her that he doesn’t love her anymore. Not having quite understood why Edward loved her in the first place, Bella believes this.
7. Edward leaves town and this sends Bella into a bitter depression. She is in between doing absolutely nothing and trying out extremely dangerous stuff. She finds out that she can feel Edward’s presence when she is danger, so she takes more and more risks.
8. This doesn’t of course wash well with Jacob, who is in love with Bella and he starts hating Edward with all his being.
9. Bella and Jacob (Taylor Lautner) spend a lot of time together as these are the only times Bella feels close to being alive or a little happy.
10. Jacob is also dealing with serious problems of his own. He is losing his friends to what he believes to be a strange cult.
11. And Bella can’t understand how he is growing so rapidly taller and muscular.
12. As time progresses, however, Jacob starts going through changes. As it turns out, the “cult” isn’t actually a cult but a group/pack of shapeshifters. The tale involving werewolves were true as well and Jacob transforms into one of them. Being able to change back and forth, he gets to be a part of the group and back with his friends again. By this time, of course he knows all about Cullens’ actual identity and hating them as he is their kinds’ sworn enemy.
13. An outside threat appears in the form of Laurent- one of the three vampires that wanted to hunt Bella in the first movie- appears. He would kill Bella but the wolves kill him.
14. When Bella finds the truth out about, she is surprised but not freaked out. After all, her ex is a vampire. She has no problems accepting a shapeshifter as her best friend.
15. While Bella is still in love with Edward, Jacob is certain that she will get over him given enough time.
16. But one of her dangerous stunts almost kills her and this has severe repercussions: Edward thinks Bella is dead so he decides to get himself killed. Suicide isn’t easily done for a vampire so he goes to Italy, where a high society of vampires- called The Volturi- have ruled and controlled vampires. While they do not have problems hurting humans, they are very careful about not exposing themselves so any human sacrifice is done in secret. The Volturi are ancient, very strong and skilled. They do not excuse vampires who are out of control or risk exposure. Which is why- Edward specifically picks the most special day in the city to go out in the sunlight to expose himself, knowing fully well The Volturi will kill him for this.
17. However Alice envisions this and takes Bella to Italy to save Edward.
18. Bella manages to save Edward at the last minute. She makes him see that she is indeed alive. She thought Edward would be killing himself out of guilt but as Edward explains it, he would do it because he didn’t want to live in a world where she doesn’t exist.
19. They make up but they have to deal with The Volturi anyway, as they think the situation is out of hand. They want Edward and Alice on their team and moreover they want Bella gone. Alice saves them through a vision she sees: Edward will turn her to a vampire. The Volturi order them to make the change immediately and let them go.
20. Edward and Bella get back together, as Edward is now fully aware that neither of them is either safe or sound without each other.
21. But after Edward’s departure, Bella’s dad Charlie (Billy Burke) dislikes Edward even more and her hours of seeing him are restricted.
22. Her friendship of Jacob is also endangered as he doesn’t want Edward around Bella. Nor does he want to share her.
23. Bella is torn and he wants them not to at least want to kill each other.
24. As she is trying to overcome the complications of her life, Edward presents her one with one more, by asking her to marry him. And he will turn her to a vampire if/when she marries him.
Image via http://vampiritza86.files.wordpress.com
Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson) and Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart)
• You should note that the book covers the shapeshifter story, Jacob’s relationship with them and the romantic past of Sam, their leader, in detail. The movie covers a little bit less and I left Sam’s personal life out.